Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Book of You: Best Static Visual Stuff of 2015

Batman: The Killing Joke Alan Moore (story), Brian Bolland (art)

Stuff I Read
Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys: A Memoir Viv Albertine
No comparison to Kim Gordon’s book, but more of what I was expecting in terms of mixing a look into the subject’s personal life, as well as the nerd details about the music. Probably helps that Albertine’s stint with the Slits was relatively short, so talking about music music music is a little more neat, perhaps? In any case, I knew little about the Slits or Albertine, so this was eye-opening in many ways. What a fucking life. So very happy that she has found her way back to music. The back half of the book that details her struggles with pregnancy, marriage, and working her way back to good health and art-making is absolutely essential.


A Brief History of Seven Killings: A Novel Marlon James
Solid writing. I'm already steeling myself for the inevitable disappointment of knowing this book will get optioned -- it screams 'make me into a film!' Which is exactly why it shouldn't. Beautiful handling of multiple characters. Really looking forward to reading more of James. 


The Cultural Cold War: The CIA and the World of Arts and Letters Frances Stonor Saunders
I’m still making my way through this, but it’s a great follow-up (for me) to Legacy of Ashes. I suppose the tl;dr version is Damn, the CIA is fuckin’ up all up and down history.

Nimona and Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 Noelle Stevenson
I really shouldn’t talk about these two series in the same breath, because they are so distinct in message, style, story, etc. But I have to thank having nieces for encouraging me to think about books that speak more directly to being female. Which is pretty silly, I recognize. Hell, these are the sorts of stories my nephews would also benefit from. Anyway. Nimona spirals out into a much bigger story, which can be a bit overwhelming. However, it really nails a lot of the confusion of growing up in the modern world. Lumberjanes is plain silly fun, smart and enjoyable in a very different way. Really dig the art, too.


Batman: Year One Frank Miller (story), David Mazzucchelli (art)
I think I like this more than Dark Knight Returns.

Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal Willow Wilson
Love, love, love this series.


Diary of a Madman: The Geto Boys, Life, Death, and the Roots of Southern Rap Brad Jordan and Benjamin Meadows Ingram
Almost done with this, but it’s a great take on the South/Houston scene.

The Squared Circle: Life, Death and Professional Wrestling David Shoemaker
My old homie Ben ‘gifted’ this to me for my bday. Another ‘almost-done’ joint, but it’s the sort of reading you can pick up and put down repeatedly.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home