Thursday, May 19, 2011

+DRAWING+MODEL+MUSIC+BEER+: Forgotten Firsts



Forgotten Firsts playlist

It's a good feeling. When you have something that you know people will like. You show up, you share it and from the jump you know, "Yeah, this is working." It's a good feeling.

The conceit was pretty simple. Even familiar. I told my new boss about it as I was leaving work that day and he told me how he had made a similar mix for his brother. Hell, he reminded me of "Tainted Love."

But hearing those familiar lyrics, melodic turns and rhythms in the hands of the originator forces you to take stock of what you know about a song. Sure, "Tainted Love" still clips along at a brisk pace. But the drums are rougher; the song swings harder. A female takes the lead ~ how do the sexual dynamics feel now? Horns, guitar and voices carry the melody, not a synth. The heat is palpable. I don't care which is better ~ I want to listen to how each version brings out a new nuance to the song.

Next week, we'll head the other direction and visit covers of songs by artists from different countries or in different languages. Trust me: you don't need to know a foreign language to appreciate a lesbian punk-cumbia band's take on Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." Join us on Wednesday, May 25; hit the Fbook page for more details...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home